I would like to introduce myself and the services I offer to companies for their employees to earn their pesticide re-certification points at their work site or office. I am retired from Vanderbilt, where I was the Sports Turf Manager for 30 years.
I have been doing these re-certification classes for over ten years. Applicators who have attended my workshops find my classes educational and interesting. My goal is to provide current educational information that will help applicators in the field.
Class topics can be targeted for your company’s specific needs and interests, such as Ornamental Insects (Emerald Ash Borer, etc.), Diseases(Boxwood Blight, etc.), Weeds, Annuals, Perennials, Turf, Pesticide Safety, etc.
I also offer re-certification classes at your work site.
Usually I can schedule a class within a week,
after approval by the Tennessee Department of Agriculture.
I have had several interesting jobs along my horticulture career journey since I graduated from The University of Tennessee with a degree in Ornamental Horticulture and Landscape Design.
- County Extension Agent-Horticulture Agent with the North Carolina State University in Franklin, North Carolina, Macon County working with Tomato, Apple, Cabbage and Christmas Tree growers. Additionally, I was also involved with Beekeeping, and the Community Club Bicentennial Flower Beds and Design.
- Historic Garden Horticulturist at The Hermitage-Home at President Andrew-Jackson, where my main responsibility was the upkeep and return of the Hermitage garden to the historic plants and design of the period when Jackson lived there 1817-1845.
- Grounds Supervisor at Nissan Motor Manufacturing Corporation, Smyrna, Tennessee Hired to oversee initial installation and manage the million dollar landscaping design around the Nissan grounds and facilities. Assisted in decision for Yoshino Cherry Trees for Nashville Riverfront Park, which were donated to the City of Nashville.
- Sports Turf Manager at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. Managed sports fields for Southeast Conference Athletic events, 300 acres of campus grounds and the property at the Chancellor’s Residence. Retired from Vanderbilt after 30 years.
Outside of my career responsibilities I am passionate about:
- Nature photography
- Heirloom seeds and plants
- Native azaleas
- Educating and sharing my horticulture knowledge with others